June 28th 2012. The Dragon Priest (WIP)

  Lately I've been practicing drawing without lines.  I just splat in color blobs and shape them with either other colors or the eraser tool.  This frees my mind from having to "draw" something and it becomes more of creating a balance of the spots I got in the screen.  Then with either a different color or the eraser I can go in and just shape things, basically cleaning up edges or creating paths where the background shows or light hits etc.  This has helped me immensely to just attack the drawing without wasting time in the idea.  Saved tons of time on this one by just not thinking about what is going on and letting the brush created the mood and the scenario.  Why is the dude in a weird robe thing?  Don't know!  Looked cool, so it's there.  Same thing for the dragon thing, it's just what it is.  I'm hoping with time I can go back and forth with more ease and the outcome will be much more cohesive.  Till then I'll continue practicing with this style of approach because it does help me relax and I am not anxious to see what's in my head into paper but rather create what's in the paper into something inside my head.  So in a way, I don't get ahead of myself, and the art doesn't have to suffer for my lack of patience. 

 Makes sense?  Probably not!  This is a WIP so I'll go back to it someday and expand the values and shapes a bit more, after all it is sort of a interesting thing going on.  Whatever it is.  I like the freedom in which this piece was born, like Brave Heart, but in a picture.  





Comments

  1. Whoa dude, nice job! I also like your thinking. Brave Heart involved many kilts so I can understand your feeling of freedom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment